Working to promote Saarland’s steel industry
Saarland and its people have been inextricably linked with the steel industry for generations. The tradition of iron and steel production here stretches back to the 15th century. Today Dillinger and Saarstahl are among the most prominent companies in the state – and both are also among the world’s top addresses in the industry.
Together, the two companies
- employ about 14,000 people
- prepare about 500 trainees for a vocation
- produce more than 5 million tons of crude steel per year
- generate a sales volume of nearly EUR 7 billion
They offer their employees jobs that require skills and qualifications, and thus the opportunity for long-term, secure livelihoods. Their innovative products also fulfill the principle of sustainability better than virtually any other material:
- can be recycled as many times as desired without a loss in quality
- opens up new options for energy supply, such as in wind power plants
- reduces vehicle weight in automotive construction and provides for significant reductions in fuel consumption and emissions
- conserves natural resources in the construction of bridges and buildings. One example: If it were rebuilt today, the Eiffel Tower in Paris would require only 7 tons of steel per meter of height, rather than 24 tons.
In 2010 SHS - Stahl-Holding-Saar (formerly known as SHS - Struktur-Holding-Stahl) was established as an operational management holding company that has since taken up activities for Saarland’s steel industry. In this way the two companies are able to cooperate more closely through existing partnerships and to enhance their presence within their markets. They are working in unison to grow, to become more flexible and to develop competitiveness in their respective markets.
Dillinger and Saarstahl are working to
secure and enhance the competitive edge wherever possible and
develop innovations that others cannot
That is the objective of SHS - Stahl-Holding-Saar GmbH&Co.KGaA